From: Aleksey Lim <alsroot <at> member.fsf.org>
Subject: Re: Install native packages
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.file-systems.zero-install.devel
Date: Friday 4th December 2009 02:06:57 UTC (over 7 years ago)
On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 05:23:23PM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a sugar[1] volunteer who is going to add[2] "sugarized" UI for
> 0install. One feature which could be useful for sugar, I think, is
> installing native packages, so
>
> * "pure" 0install packages for not well packaged
>   applications/dependencies or activity(sugar application) specific
>   binaries(activities are mostly python based)
> * and using native packages in other cases(useful in case of not
>   trivial packages)
>
> Sugar can use PackgeKit separately from 0install for native packages but
> since there is [3]
>
>     We could also consider native packages that are available (you'd need
>     to enter the root password). This might be useful if no Zero Install
>     version was available, or if you preferred to use a native package
>     for some reason.
>
> Is there any ongoing progress(maybe PackgeKit integration) in that field
> I can jump in.
>
> [1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/
> [2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Zero_Install_integration
> [3] http://0install.net/distribution-integration.html

I've implemented initial PackgeKit integration and had to change scheme
a bit. Since PackgeKit packages could be installed, fetching the whole
list of available packages could be not useful, so I'm keeping all
useful info for PackgeKit packages that 0install knows in cache
files(per package) and update them on demand if there was some activity
in PackgeKit.

I encountered issue with which distro backend should be used, since
PackgeKit lives on top of native package manager, so I'm trying to
detect PackgeKit first. BTW what about using only PackgeKit(and his
backends), last version has 18 backends(not sure about theirs status but
I've managed to install PackgeKit packages via 0install in Gentoo and
Karmic).

Another issue is that every distribution could have different naming
scheme and binary paths(like for games), so I guess 0install feed could
have several package-implementation tags for different distributions.

--
Aleksey

CD: 5ms