From: Wiktor Wandachowicz <wiktorw <at> people.pl>
Subject: Could reiserfsprogs display volume labels when doing fsck upon boot?
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.file-systems.reiserfs.general
Date: Friday 14th October 2005 09:40:39 UTC (over 12 years ago)
Recently I've changed a filesystem on one of my patitions from ext3 to
reiserfs 3.6.

All of my partitions have labels (hint: "mke2fs -L") so at boot I can
easily see
which partitions are fsck-ed. So while reformatting my last partition
/dev/hda8
as reiserfs 3.6, I've labeled it too (hint: "mkreiserfs -l").

Alas, upon boot reiserfsck never displays a volume label set this way,
only:

Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x307 of format 3.6 with standard
journal

While ext2/ext3 fsck displays a neat message for every partition it checks,
like:

BOOT: clean, 62/297256 files, 60311/594405 blocks

So, I wanted to ask you: is adding such a functionality to reiserfsck a
good idea?
I've tried to add it myself and it turned out to be four lines in one
source file
(well, two lines actually doing the job, because one line is a comment and
another
one contains a curly bracket). I have a small patch against
reiserfsprogs-3.6.19
(applicable to the 3.6.18 and 3.6.17) ready to be sent.

Now my reiserfsck tests if volume label exists, and in such case displays
it like:

SPARE: Reiserfs super block in block 16 on 0x307 of format 3.6 with
standard journal

And yes, I know it's cosmetic :-)

But for me it's nice to have. This way my system behaves in a more
consistent way.
Maintainers I asked from my distribution suggested to ask my question at
the source.
What is your opinion then, reiserfs people?

Friendly,
Wiktor Wandachowicz

CD: 3ms