From: Szabolcs Szakacsits <szaka-IyvsvuGDJ8VAfugRpC6u6w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Stable NTFS-3G 2009.1.1 released
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.file-systems.ntfs-3g.devel
Date: Thursday 22nd January 2009 23:10:50 UTC (over 8 years ago)
Welcome,

  *  Year 2008 Results
  *  Year 2009 Goals
  *  New Version Numbering
  *  Stable Release: UTF-8 Support, Fixes
  *  Acknowledgements

Happy New Year 2009!

By revisiting our plans for 2008, it seems we can happily state that we
could achieve significantly more than what we have originally aimed for.
Thank to all those who provided feedback, bug report, solution, testing,
development, packaging, documentation, news, sponsorship, operational or
other contribution.

Some of the main results, without completeness.

  *  Full core functionality implemented: full index operations, unlimited
     file and directory creation and transparent UTF-8 support. Moreover
     shared writable mmap and NFS support via the FUSE kernel module.

  *  Lightweight, integrated FUSE: easier deployment, faster release
cycles,
     smaller footprint, less external dependencies.

  *  New, modern build system.

  *  Strong resistance to file system corruptions and hardware flaws.

  *  POSIX file system test suite ported, extended and maintained.

  *  Advanced NTFS-3G: full ownership, permissions, POSIX ACL, junction
     points support, access to internal NTFS data, POSIX compliance.
     http://pagesperso-orange.fr/b.andre/advanced-ntfs-3g.html

  *  Significant performance improvements.

  *  High-performance NTFS-3G driver for embedded devices.

  *  Solaris and Windows port.

  *  Much improved Mac OS X integration
     http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/

More than 200 Linux distributions use NTFS-3G, and probably even more ISVs
and consumer electronic device makers built it into one or more of their
products.

What to expect from 2009?

Better usability, more functionality, better availability (online
recovery), much better performance, modular architecture, smaller
memory footprint. Improved integration on Mac OS X, more mature
operation on the newer OSes.

Probably other things too if __YOU__ tell us what you would like to
see to get improved or implemented.

We have a new version numbering convention. The version formats will be
either

  year.month

or

  year.month.patchlevel

We hope this will not cause any major trouble. If so then please let us
know.

Potentially inaccessible files with national characters in the filename,
missing, disappeared files and directories were one of the major problems
for NTFS-3G users if the user's language and region identifiers weren't
setup properly. The workaround was complex, unfriendly, distribution
specific and didn't even help if multiply languages were used.

Bernhard Kaindl has developed a solution which is included in this release
candidate. Jean-Pierre Andre improved on it. It's in testing since several
months with success and it doesn't require anymore the 'locale=' mount
option to be set.

The 'locale=' mount option is ignored for filename characterset conversions

and always UTF-8 is used.

In the past, unreadable filenames were ignored from a directory list.
Since this shouldn't happen anymore thus a directory read error is
reported in such cases. Unexpected NTFS-3G errors are always logged in
one of the /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages, /var/log/messages.log,
or /var/log/daemon.log files.

The operating system, of course, still has to have UTF-8 support to
properly display all national characters. The big difference is, from
now on no filenames must be hidden and inaccessible on NTFS.

Having garbled filenames, filenames with question marks suggest a
displaying, not file system driver problem. The 'ls' command has
a -b (or --escape) option which prints the octal escapes for
undisplayable characters.

This release implemented file creation timestamp support on OS X and
contains some additional fixes which are listed in detail at

  http://ntfs-3g.org/releases.html

The source code of the latest stable driver is available at

  http://ntfs-3g.org/

Many thanks to: Jean-Pierre Andre, Bernhard Kaindl, Erik Larsson,
Miklos Szeredi, Dominique L Bouix, Csaba Henk, Alejandro Pulver,
Ralph Martin, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos, Matthew Zhang, Michael Clark,
Amit Singh, ...

	The NTFS-3G Team