From: Szabolcs Szakacsits <szaka-IyvsvuGDJ8VAfugRpC6u6w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Stable NTFS-3G 1.2712 released
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.file-systems.ntfs-3g.devel
Date: Sunday 13th July 2008 01:01:29 UTC (over 8 years ago)
Greetings,

  *  Maintenance release
  *  File ownership and permissions support
  *  Major FUSE/kernel improvements
  *  Logo design competition result
  *  Credits

During feature and performance works, several bug fixes has been
accumulated over the past month. We are releasing them.

They include compilation, installation, mount time, potential driver
hang, memory leak and other fixes. Please see the major changes at

    http://ntfs-3g.org/releases.html

The latest stable NTFS-3G driver can be downloaded from

    http://ntfs-3g.org/

Sometimes we get critiques and questions when the driver will fully
support file ownerships and permissions. Well, it already supports both
which passes the POSIX file system test suite. Jean-Pierre Andre is doing
a great job:

    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/b.andre/security.html

Please report us any problem you would find with it because the day is
coming when this will be the only supported driver. Thank you.

Miklos Szeredi is doing an incredible good job on FUSE and the Linux
kernel. Problem reports are rapidly analyzed and fixed if justified.
New, major important improvements which will be released soon and
from which NTFS-3G will benefit:

  - shared writable mmap support in the 2.6.26 kernel (makes Wine
    and VMware very happy)

  - write performance improvements in the 2.6.26 kernel: we managed to
    achieve 802 MB/s write speed during preliminary performance work

  - NFS support should arrive with the 2.6.27 kernel (currently it needs
    a separate FUSE kernel module or additional patches).

The NTFS-3G logo design competition winner was voted and announced on
16th of June, 2008.

We had a very hard time to decide, we liked so many different logos. Every
active project members could voted his/her first three most liked logos
and points were given accordingly which were summarized. Incredibly all
designers got some points, and all the top 6 contestants, 11 designers,
had a logo which was voted as the best at least once.

In a fierce and exciting competition, the winning design and the 100 USD
went to Lev Givon. Congratulations!

The top three places were,

  1. Lev Givon          19 points
  2. Katarzyna Lukaszek 18 points
  3. Jacek Adamkiewicz  17 points
     Jakub Michalski
     Slawomir Wojtczak
     Krystian Zajdel

We would like to thank very much to all designers for the nice, unique and
fun logos!

More details and the logos can be found at

    http://ntfs-3g.org/logo.html

Many thanks to: Miklos Szeredi, Jean-Pierre Andre, Bernhard Kaindl,
Dominique L Bouix, Alon Bar-Lev, Erik Larsson, Csaba Henk, Alejandro
Pulver, Ugo Riboni, Colin King, Agostino Russo, Amit Uttamchandani, Raymond
Vetter, Alec Zhou, Michal Olber, Katarzyna Lukaszek, Nathan Odle, Tomasz
Nowak, Pawel Lech, Jonas Enberg, Jakub Michalski, Jacek Adamkiewicz,
Michael Fuchs, Slawomir Wojtczak, Ignas Ragaisis, Etienne Levesque Guitard,
Darek Michalski, Andrzej Michalski, Rafal Dzierzak, Robert Ames, Eric
Osborn, Goncalo Branco, Krystian Zajdel, Kelvin Nyaga, Lev Givon, Yusron
Alhuda, Weston Cox, Michael Felix Hu.

This release is dedicated to the latest twin-star in the sky ...

	Szabolcs