From: Szabolcs Szakacsits <szaka-IyvsvuGDJ8VAfugRpC6u6w <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Stable NTFS-3G 1.2531 released
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.file-systems.ntfs-3g.devel
Date: Thursday 29th May 2008 03:09:12 UTC (over 9 years ago)
Good Day,

  *  Maintenance release, driver build improvements
  *  Logo Design Competition
  *  Credits

Storage capacity rapidly grows, computer chip miniaturization is being
pushed to the physical limits, hardware and software subsystems and their
connections are increasingly more complex. The rush to market are often
happen at the expense of the quality. These result a high pressure on file
systems to cope gracefully with all kinds of unexpected events, hardware,
driver, software faults, corrupted volumes, as partly described for
instance at

	http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#ioerror

Recently we were pointed to a quality testing utility, called fsfuzzer,
which simulates unanticipated, real-world problems by creating randomly
corrupted file system images and testing how file system drivers behave.
It's claimed that it broke all file systems in the past.

Thankfully the utility is being open source, so we could quickly implement
NTFS-3G support and extensively test the driver using it, what we will keep

doing so in the future, as part of the quality assurance process.

It's indeed a great tool! It did find one crash and three hang problems.
This release fixes all of them.

Thanks to Alon Bar-Lev, the driver build process got further improved.
Among others, the driver can be built in a separate directory and the
--enable-mount-helper configure option was introduced which installs
/sbin/mount.ntfs-3g, so mount via mount(8) and /etc/fstab can work on
Linux. The default is enabled on Linux, as it was always done in the past,
but it's disabled on all other operating systems where it sometimes caused
troubles.

Special thanks to Bernhard Kaindl.

Please see the major changes at

    http://ntfs-3g.org/releases.html

The latest stable NTFS-3G driver can be downloaded from

    http://ntfs-3g.org/

The NTFS-3G logo competition is still ongoing and will end only on the next

Monday. We received many nice, unique and funny logos. They can be seen at

    http://ntfs-3g.org/logo.html

Many thanks to: Alon Bar-Lev, Bernhard Kaindl, Miklos Szeredi, Jean-Pierre
Andre, Dominique L Bouix, Erik Larsson, Alejandro Pulver, Csaba Henk,
Ingo Molnar, Andrew Morton, Peter Rabbitson, Georg Lukas, Tom "spot"
Callaway, Gustavo Guillermo Perez, Jan Buecken, Nicolas Nobelis, Chris
Samuel, Joe Fegan, Eric Sesterhenn, Katarzyna Lukaszek, Nathan Odle,
Tomasz Nowak, Pawel Lech, Jonas Enberg, Jakub Michalski, Jacek Adamkiewicz,

Michael Fuchs, Slawomir Wojtczak, Ignas Ragaisis, Etienne Levesque Guitard,

Darek Michalski, Andrzej Michalski, Rafal Dzierzak, Robert Ames, Eric
Osborn, Goncalo Branco, Krystian Zajdel, ...

Kind regards,
		Szabolcs