From: Ladar Levison <ladar <at> lavabit.com>
Subject: Code for using ECIES to protect data (ECC + AES + SHA)
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.encryption.openssl.devel
Date: Friday 6th August 2010 08:04:48 UTC (over 8 years ago)
Since I couldn't find any code showing how to protect arbitrary blocks
of data using OpenSSL's implementation of ECC+AES I've decided to share
what I developed by posting it to the list. The goal was to follow the
SECG standard for ECIES. I only gave the document describing the
standard a cursory reading and would welcome anyone's feedback.

Hopefully someday I'll be able to use the EVP_Seal interface to
accomplish the same thing as the code I'm sending out.  ;)

On a side note, I started working on this code in an effort to replace
an equivalent piecemeal implementation I built years ago atop Libgcrypt.
Naturally I ran a number of simple benchmarks to compare my new
implementation based on OpenSSL against the older Libgcrypt code. I was
pleasantly surprised find the OpenSSL implementation ~10 to ~15 times
faster depending on the size of the data I encrypted/decrypted (using
equivalent curves/key sizes).

I hereby place the attached code in the public domain. As such it comes
without any warranty regarding its merchantability or fitness for a
particular purpose. Please use it at your own risk.

--
Ladar Levison
Lavabit LLC

CD: 3ms