From: Richard Stallman <rms <at> gnu.org>
Subject: GNUTLS is not going anywhere
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.encryption.gpg.gnutls.devel
Date: Tuesday 11th December 2012 20:04:56 UTC (over 4 years ago)
Nikos, when you volunteered to maintain GNUTLS, the GNU Project
entrusted its development to you.  Your contributions so far are
appreciated.  However, the project GNUTLS does not belong to you.

If you want to stop doing this job, you can.  If you want to develop a
fork of GNUTLS under another name, you can, since it is free software.

But you cannot take GNUTLS out of the GNU Project.  You cannot
designate a non-GNU program as a replacement for a GNU package.
We will continue the development of GNUTLS.

I interpret your message of yesterday as resigning from the post of
maintainer, but if you would ever like to cooperate with the GNU Project
again, we can talk about that.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation