From: David Vrabel <david.vrabel <at> citrix.com>
Subject: Re: Debian Kernel: Xen-fb-frontend as a module?
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.emulators.xen.devel
Date: Tuesday 23rd September 2014 15:43:53 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On 23/09/14 15:30, Ian Campbell wrote:
> create !
> title it "30s delay loading xenfb driver on some systems"
> owner it Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
> thanks
>
> Hi James,
>
> Some of the other Xen devs were discussing an issue which sounded
> awfully similar to this one, so I am copying the xen-devel list and
> creating a Xen bug to track the issue, please CC xen-devel (no need to
> subscribe but you may be moderated the first time), since the tracker
> slurps mails from the list.
>
> I'm not sure of the details of the other issue but it involved
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=b1a3b1c8a8d963424c4699efa64dd8986b2f76d7
hopefully Konrad or one of the others will follow up.

> For xen-devel, the first two mails in this thread are
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2014/09/msg00229.html
and
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2014/09/msg00233.html

The wait stuff for xenbus devices looks like pre-dates distros handling
asynchronous devices with suitable initrds etc.

I think we need a command line configurable white list of device types
to wait for.  The default should be (to match what was done historically):

PV: vbd, vif, pci, vfb, vkbd.
HVM: vbd, vif.

I also think it should be possible to default (via a config option) to
an empty white list.

David

CD: 4ms