From: Ingo Molnar <mingo <at> elte.hu>
Subject: Re: [RFC] Unify KVM kernel-space and user-space code into a single project
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.emulators.kvm.devel
Date: Thursday 18th March 2010 22:44:46 UTC (over 7 years ago)
* Zachary Amsden  wrote:

> On 03/18/2010 11:15 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >* Zachary Amsden  wrote:

> >>Ingo, what you miss is that this is not a bad thing.  Fact of the
> >>matter is, it's not just painful, it downright sucks.
> >Our experience is the opposite, and we tried both variants and report
about
> >our experience with both models honestly.
> >
> >You only have experience about one variant - the one you advocate.
> >
> >See the assymetry?
> >
> >>This is actually a Good Thing (tm).  It means you have to get your
> >>feature and its interfaces well defined and able to version forwards
> >>and backwards independently from each other.  And that introduces
> >>some complexity and time and testing, but in the end it's what you
> >>want.  You don't introduce a requirement to have the feature, but
> >>take advantage of it if it is there.
> >>
> >>It may take everyone else a couple years to upgrade the compilers,
> >>tools, libraries and kernel, and by that time any bugs introduced by
> >>interacting with this feature will have been ironed out and their
> >>patterns well known.
> >Sorry, but this is pain not true. The 2.4->2.6 kernel cycle debacle has
taught
> >us that waiting long to 'iron out' the details has the following
effects:

> >  - developer pain
> >  - user pain
> >  - distro pain
> >  - disconnect
> >  - loss of developers, testers and users
> >  - grave bugs discovered months (years ...) down the line
> >  - untested features
> >  - developer exhaustion
> >
> >It didnt work, trust me - and i've been around long enough to have
suffered
> >through the whole 2.5.x misery. Some of our worst ABIs come from that
cycle as
> >well.
>
> You're talking about a single project and comparing it to my argument
about
> multiple independent projects.  In that case, I see no point in the
> discussion.  If you want to win the argument by strawman, you are welcome
> do so.

The kernel is a very complex project with many ABI issues, so all those
arguments apply to it as well. The description you gave:

 | This is actually a Good Thing (tm).  It means you have to get your
feature
 | and its interfaces well defined and able to version forwards and
backwards
 | independently from each other.  And that introduces some complexity and
 | time and testing, but in the end it's what you want.  You don't
introduce a
 | requirement to have the feature, but take advantage of it if it is
there.

matches the kernel too. We have many such situations. (Furthermore, the
tools/perf/ situation, which relates to ABIs and user-space/kernel-space
interactions is similar as well.)

Do you still think i'm making a straw-man argument?

> > Sorry, but i really think you are really trying to rationalize a
> > disadvantage here ...
>
> This could very well be true, but until someone comes forward with
> compelling numbers (as in, developers committed to working on the
project,
> number of patches and total amount of code contribution), there is no
point
> in having an argument, there really isn't anything to discuss other than
> opinion.  My opinion is you need a really strong justification to have a
> successful fork and I don't see that justification.

I can give you rough numbers for tools/perf - if that counts for you.

For the first four months of its existence, when it was a separate project,
had a single external contributor IIRC.

The moment it went into the kernel repo the number of contributors and
contributions skyrocketed and basically all contributions were top-notch.
We
are at 60+ separate contributors now (after about 8 months upstream) -
which
is still small compared to the kernel or to Qemu, but huge for a relatively

isolated project like instrumentation.

So in my estimation tools/kvm/ would certainly be popular. Whether it would
be
more popular than current Qemu is hard to tell - it would be pure
speculation.

Any reliable numbers for the other aspect, whether a split project creates
more fragile and less developed ABI would be extremely hard to get. I
believe
it to be true, but that's my opinion based on my experience with other
projects, extrapolated to KVM/Qemu.

Anyway, the issue is moot as there's clear opposition to the unification
idea.

Too bad - there was heavy initial opposition to the arch/x86 unification as

well [and heavy opposition to tools/perf/ as well], still both worked out
extremely well :-)

	Ingo