From: Stehle, Vincent <v-stehle-l0cyMroinI0 <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Re: hardfp support for PowerVR drivers?
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.embedded.pandaboard
Date: Monday 9th May 2011 17:30:23 UTC (over 5 years ago)
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Alison Chaiken
 wrote:

> (..) Would TI be downstream of Linaro, or
> developing the Ubuntu port as a separate effort?

Currently TI is developing OMAP specific packages, with the help of
Canonical and Linaro.

  I hate to ask, but
> do you have any time estimate when the libraries might be available?

I am not sure when the hardfp libraries will be released. We need to do
some
performances assessment first.

>  (softfp ABI)
> Hmm.    Do you mean that there will be a compile-time option to choose
> softfp versus hardfp for backward-compatibility reasons?

Yes. Ubuntu wants softfp ABI at the "interfaces" (--float-abi=softfp).
AFAIK, this was chosen so that Ubuntu could run on all armv7a (even with no
VFP and no NEON, which are optional). On OMAP we can use actual VFP/NEON
instructions inside the libraries as we know the hardware supports them,
but
we still need to honor the softfp ABI at the libraries "interface".

Best regards,

V.

CD: 3ms