From: Jean Hollis Weber <jeanweber <at> gmail.com>
Subject: [tdf-discuss] I like the name LibreOffice
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss
Date: Thursday 7th October 2010 11:16:56 UTC (over 6 years ago)
If I have to explain to someone what "LibreOffice" means, it's easy:
"Libre means free, as in liberty or freedom."

If I have to explain what "OpenOffice.org" means, it's a much bigger
problem, even without the complication of the ".org" part. Most people
have never heard of "open source" or "open standards" or "open" anything
else. How to explain it in less than ten words? And even if I do, most
people don't care, don't understand why they should care, and think I am
one of those geek fanatics for even talking about it. They shake their
heads and go away.

But "free, as in liberty" they can understand. They are interested,
enough for me to say "you can make as many copies as you like, and give
it away; it's all legal, no hassles."

It's a good name.

--Jean