From: Giuseppe Castagno <giuseppe.castagno <at> acca-esse.eu>
Subject: Re: Copyright Assignments & the Document Foundation
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.documentfoundation.discuss
Date: Monday 1st November 2010 11:44:10 UTC (over 7 years ago)
Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
> Hello BRM,
>

> Le Thu, 28 Oct 2010 07:12:59 -0700 (PDT),
> BRM  a écrit :

[big snip]

>> Perhaps the way around that is to require those contributing TDF to
>> use the "or later" language; though some may not want to.
>>
>> Even without copyright assignment the only thing standing in the way
>> of changing the license - whether to LGPLv4 or even GPLv3 or whatever
>> else - is getting the permission of _all_ the copyright holders.
>
> Good objection indeed! Actually, the problem is partly solved, since we
> now license our software under "LGPL v3 or later". At least it would be
> solved for the LGPL side of things. But my real answer here though, is
> perhaps more provocative: if Oracle changes the licence, do we really
> care? for the 3.3 we stick to the codebase of OOo, but I'm unsure we'll
> stick that much  to it in further releases. In fact, I can already
> point out, looking at our development activity, that we're not taking
> the path of being "OpenOffice.org, just recompiled by the community". I
> think as the time will go by, we will diverge more and more and end up
> becoming quite different software.
>
>> >From what I understand this is already impossible to do under Linux
>>> due to
>> deaths of at least one contributor.
>
> Yes, and in this case a rewrite is needed.

this can work in practice for small addendum, but what about bigger one?

That may take some time.

I implemented PDF/A-1a in OOo around 3 years ago
(http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/news_in_pdfexport),
rewriting it
from scratch would not be a quick matter.

And, my personal opinion only, years back I signed the then Sun (J)CA, I
will sign a TDF one or similar without problem.

May be the CA should be on a voluntary basis.

Just my 0,02 as a dev, and not a lawyer.

beppec56

--
Kind Regards,
Giuseppe Castagno