From: Mark Kirkwood <mark.kirkwood <at> catalyst.net.nz>
Subject: Re: [9.4 CF 1] The Commitfest Slacker List
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.db.postgresql.devel.general
Date: Monday 24th June 2013 22:07:06 UTC (over 4 years ago)
On 25/06/13 03:54, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> It is mentioned. Of course now I can't find it but it is there.
>
> However, I believe you are taking the wrong perspective on this. This is
> not a shame wall. It is a transparent reminder of the policy and those
> who have not assisted in reviewing a patch but have submitted a patch
> themselves.
>
> In short, leave the ego at the door.

Lol - Josh's choice of title has made it a small shame wall (maybe only
knee high).

However as your last line says - no *actual* harm has been done (no
kittens killed etc).

One of the reasons for fewer reviewers than submitters, is that it is a
fundamentally more difficult job. I've submitted a few patches in a few
different areas over the years - however if I grab a patch on the queue
that is not in exactly one of the areas I know about, I'll struggle to
do a good quality review.

Now some might say "any review is better than no review"... I don't
think so - one of my patches a while was reviewed by someone who didn't
really know the context that well and made the whole process grind to a
standstill until a more experienced reviewer took over. I'm quite wary
of doing the same myself - anti-help is not the answer!

Regards

Mark