From: Stephen Frost <sfrost <at> snowman.net>
Subject: Re: Debian readline/libedit breakage
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.db.postgresql.devel.general
Date: Friday 11th February 2011 18:13:27 UTC (over 6 years ago)
* Greg Smith ([email protected]) wrote:
> -GNU libreadine is certainly never going to add an OpenSSL exemption

I really wish they would, that's just them being obnoxious- it's already
LGPL, after all..

> -If the OpenSSL project was going to switch to a reasonable license,
> they'd have done it years ago

aiui, the problem here is actually a former OpenSSL hacker who has no
interest (and, in fact, a positive interest against) in changing the
OpenSSL licensing.  Most of the current OpenSSL hackers don't have an
issue with the change (again, aiui).

> -There are many known and serious bugs/limitations in libedit
> relative to libreadline

Yes, which makes it suck. :(

> -Adding GnuTLS support to PostgreSQL would require solving several
> code quality issues

I'm curious about this, but I don't know that I've got time to dive into
it and solve it. :/

> Idealogically, I find the worst offendor here to be the OpenSSL
> license.  From a license purity perspective I'd like to see their
> ridiculous requirements bypassed altogether by doing whatever is
> necessary to get GnuTLS support working.  But pragmatically, fixing
> the bugs and adding features to libedit may be the easier route
> here.

That suprises me..  There are a ton of tools which work with GnuTLS
today, and hearing that it's got serious issues isn't good. :/

	Thanks,

		Stephen

CD: 13ms