From: Chris Bieneman <beanz <at> apple.com>
Subject: [RFC] Late May Update: Progress report on CMake build system's ability to replace autoconf
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel
Date: Thursday 28th May 2015 15:22:10 UTC (over 2 years ago)
Hi all,

Time for another update on the status of the CMake build system.

Completed:
* Bug 18496 - [cmake] .S assembly files not compiled by cmake in
libclang_rt.ARCH
* Bug 22725 - lldb build with cmake fails with "Program error: Invalid
parameters entered, -h for help. "
* Update GettingStarted to prefer CMake

Still Outstanding:

* Bug 14109 - CMake build for compiler-rt should use just-built clang
 - No Update: Still some small issues to resolve.

* Bug 19462 - Use the INSTALL(EXPORT ...) to export CMake definitions
 - I commented in the review for this today (http://reviews.llvm.org/D7623). I
think the patches I have are good to land, but Stephen Kelly made some
other suggestions in the bug we should consider separately.

* Bug 19875 - libraries and executables need different rpaths
 - No Update: Still outstanding, I don't think this is a blocker.

* Bug 21561 - Update release scripts to use CMake
 - No Update: Still outstanding and blocking removal of autoconf

* Bug 21562 - Add a CMake equivalent for make/platform/clang_darwin.mk in
compiler_rt
 - I've looked at this a bit on and off. It is unfortunately a hard
problem. I think it would be easier if CMake had better support for setting
clang's sysroot and arch flags. To that end I've filed a bug against CMake
(http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=15591).

* Bug 21568 - Cannot add rpath
 - No Update: Not a blocker.

Other issues not tracked by bugs:

* FreeBSD seemed to have problems with CMake identifying itself as amd64
causing x86_64 tests to fail
* Migrating buildbots
* We need to make sure libc++ works properly on Darwin
* Put together a “cheat sheet” document for transitioning
 - If you have an autoconf workflow you’d like to see in the cheat sheet
please send your commands my way and I‘ll assemble the cheat sheet.

If there is anything I’m missing please let me know. Thanks,

Thanks,
-Chris