From: Alexey Samsonov <vonosmas <at> gmail.com>
Subject: RFC: Dropping support for building sanitizers with autotools
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel
Date: Friday 13th February 2015 02:31:37 UTC (over 3 years ago)
Hi everyone,

TL;DR I plan to do subj unless anyone objects.

Autotools support for building sanitizers was never complete, is a proper
subset of CMake capabilities, and the gap between the features of CMake
build and autotools is quickly increasing:
1) OS: autotools support Linux, Mac OS X and Android; CMake also supports
FreeBSD and Windows.
2) Architectures: autotools support i386 and x86_64, CMake also supports
MIPS, ARM/AArch64, PowerPC).
3) Library variants: autotools don't support building shared ASan runtime
on Linux.
4 [!!!]) Autotools build doesn't have *any* support for building and
running tests.
5) The sets of compiler flags we use to build runtimes are different in two
builds, and are hard to kept in sync.

Because of (4), sanitizer runtimes built with autotools are severely
undertested, and maintaining two different build systems is a burden I
would like to get rid of. Now seems to be a good time for that: we've cut
off 3.6 release branch, and Hans assures me that 3.7 release process will
use CMake.

Are there existing users of configure/make that want sanitizers to be
available in their build? Are there other arguments for keeping the
autotools build "working" I'm missing?

--
Alexey Samsonov