From: Rafael Auler <rafaelauler <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Out of source backend
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel
Date: Thursday 27th November 2014 23:42:04 UTC (over 3 years ago)
I've done this for my research project. I designed a backend to be a
loadable module for LLVM 3.3, so, in that way, I would end up with a
repository that only has the backend code, nice and neat. When building my
project, my Makefile would create a shared library that llc is able to load
and install a new backend at runtime.

But honestly, I regret doing this. I don't see the point anymore of
creating a separate project to an out-of-tree backend. I think the best
design (and simplest) is to fork the LLVM project in your private
repository and develop your backend from there, rebasing when convenient.