From: Hal Finkel <hfinkel <at> anl.gov>
Subject: Re: Probing the complexity of the LLVM's optimizations
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel
Date: Sunday 12th October 2014 21:18:16 UTC (over 2 years ago)
Hi Junio,

This is interesting, thanks for sharing this with us.

A few comments/questions:

 - Exactly what version of LLVM did you use?

 - Are you measuring the time reported by -time-passes?

 - When looking at the different optimization levels, you should note that
at least one of the transformation passes is more aggressive at higher
optimization levels. For example, if you look in
lib/Transforms/IPO/PassManagerBuilder.cpp, you'll see:
  MPM.add(createLoopUnswitchPass(SizeLevel || OptLevel < 3));

 - There are lots of passes that run during CodeGen, some of which are not
cheap, and you might want to measure those as well.

 - With a few exceptions, most of these passes operate on one function (or
loop) at a time. If you're generating a file with many small functions,
you're unlikely to see anything like the asymptotic behavior. This seems
suspicious, for example: http://homepages.dcc.ufmg.br/~juniocezar/llvm/img/Analysis/Big/domtree.png
(compared to http://homepages.dcc.ufmg.br/~juniocezar/llvm/img/testsuite/analysis/Big/domtree.png
for the "real" test programs).

 - Furthermore, you're unlikely to see non-trivial computational complexity
simply by increasing the number of instructions. You'll want to increase
the complexity of the control flow, the nesting depth of the loops, the
depth of the instruction dependency chains, etc. Especially with CSmith, it
would be interesting to see how much of that can be varied.

 - It would be interesting to see the different (most significant) passes
on the same plot, so that their relative expense can be compared.

 -Hal