From: Andrew Trick <atrick <at> apple.com>
Subject: Re: Stack maps no longer experimental in 3.5
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel
Date: Friday 6th June 2014 18:29:17 UTC (over 3 years ago)
On Jun 6, 2014, at 11:10 AM, Sean Silva  wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It is my understanding that now WebKit depends on the stack map
functionality in production. Also, on the mailing lists we've seen lots of
users using in this feature. Can we eliminate the experimental status for
3.5?

Correct. It is in production software and has multiple clients.

However, it may be worth doing another round of RFC before we pin down the
intrinsic. There is an extension I would like to make, and I want to make
sure we have covered the use cases of other clients that are just
considering using the intrinsic but haven’t finalized their designs.

I planned to send another proposal next week. Based on that discussion we
can determine whether to extend the existing intrinsics or add new
intrinsics for new features.

> Off the top of my head, the changes needed are:
>
> - A read-through of StackMaps.rst to remove any mention of it being
experimental.
> - Removing mention of it being experimental from http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html#stack-map-intrinsics
> - Removing the `.experimental` from the name.
>
> Anything else?

Sounds good.

> (also, we'll have to put some stuff in http://llvm.org/docs/ReleaseNotes.html)

Right. I’m not in any particular hurry to make 3.5. Let’s see how the
discussion goes next week.

-Andy

> -- Sean Silva

CD: 3ms