From: Denis Steckelmacher <steckdenis <at> yahoo.fr>
Subject: [GSoC 2014] Using LLVM as a code-generation backend for Valgrind
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel
Date: Monday 24th February 2014 18:51:21 UTC (over 3 years ago)
Hi,

I've seen on the LLVM's Open Projet Page [1] an idea about using LLVM to
generate native code in Valgrind. For what I know, Valgrind uses libVEX
to translate native instructions into a bitcode, used to add the
instrumentation and then translated back to native code for execution.

Valgrind and LLVM are two tools that I use nearly every day. I'm also
very interested in code generation and optimization, so adding the
possibility to use LLVM to generate native code in libVEX interests me
very much. Is it a good idea? Could a LLVM backend bring something
useful to Valgrind (for instance, faster execution or more targets
supported) ?

I've sent this message to the LLVM and Valgrind mailing lists because
I've originally found the idea on the LLVM's website, but Valgrind is
the object of the idea. By the way, does anyone already know if LLVM or
Valgrind will be a mentoring organization for this year's GSoC?

You can find in [2] the list of my past projects. During the GSoC 2011,
I had the chance to use the Clang libraries to compile C code, and the
LLVM JIT to execute it (with instrumented stdlib functions). I have also
played with the LLVM C bindings to generate code when I explored some
parts of Mesa.

Denis Steckelmacher

[1] : http://llvm.org/OpenProjects.html#misc_new
[2] : http://steckdenis.be/page-projects.html