From: Venkatraman Govindaraju <venkatra <at> cs.wisc.edu>
Subject: LLVM/Clang on Sparc64
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.compilers.llvm.devel
Date: Sunday 2nd February 2014 16:05:47 UTC (over 3 years ago)
Thanks to Jakob's work on Sparcv9 ABI in Clang and recent changes to
Sparc code generator, I am happy to announce that Clang can self host
itself on Linux/Sparc64 and on FreeBSD/Sparc64.

However, it still fails on a few unit tests and nightly tests,
primarily due to misaligned memory accesses in the code (See bugs
18482, 18500, 18502, 18536, 18693). Unlike other architectures,
misaligned loads/stores cause bus errors in Sparc.

To catch bugs specific to Sparc such as the misalignment bugs, it
would be great to get some buildbots running on Sparc machines. I see
that there are buildbot slaves already running on Sparc machines in
GCC compile farm (for example, gcc63, gcc64, listed at
http://lab.llvm.org:8011/buildslaves).
Is it possible to start running
builders on them? If so, what are the procedures to do that?

 Note that clang still does not work when it is build as a 32-bit
binary, mainly due to the alignment issues in Clang. Also, Clang does
not work out of box on Solaris/Sparc yet, due to the lack of support
for its toolchain.

Thanks,
Venkatraman

CD: 2ms