From: tierneysean <sean <at> yahoo.invalid>
Subject: are there fun cf jobs left?
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.cms.cold-fusion.user.azcfug
Date: Wednesday 23rd July 2003 21:25:10 UTC (over 14 years ago)
folks,
I just now caught up on my reading of azcfug messages since june 1st.
I tried my hand at a venture involving party bus rentals for the last
3mos but it didn't pan out so I took a CF contact position w/ a
company monday (that will remain nameless for their sake).
Bottomline, after two days I realized I am a square peg in a round
hole and had to gracefully leave. They need peon workerbees to take
heat from people, kiss management butt and make bug fixes all day
patching a sinking ship all the while pretending like it's not-
unfortunately I just don't have that in me. Without venting too much
to this list and trying to extract something positive from this
experience, does anyone still have a fun coding job that they enjoy
(if not daily, at least some of the time) without excessive
beauracratic crap involved? If so can you post something
encouraging to this list to reassure me that they still exist?

I'm not opposed to hard work and long hours, just senseless work.
I've worked 6 tech jobs over the past 6yrs and they have all been
magnificent companies to work for at one point or another and I got to
invent some really cool things but inevitably something in the mix
gets screwed up and basically a situation presents itself where
either you stay and compromise what you believe in or you bail. Are
others facing these insane environments and if so, how do you cope? I
was told this morning that I was their best technical interview to
date and that I should stick it out, but I think it would be a
disservice to them for me to stay, so i left. The whole environment
was surreal. Humans weren't meant to bake 8hrs a day under
flourescent lights surrounded by noiseless high-walled grey cubicles,
wearing colored badges and entering through a frigging airlock
security system for security (no joke, think Total Recal - they told
me it was a concern that a disgruntled ex-employee would come back
and mow down management). If that's an actual concern, shouldn't
that be a red flag that something is desperately wrong? When there
are 10 people on a web team and everyone's doing support rather than
development and there's no less than 100 error messages and requests
in your inbox each day, is adding one more team member the solution
or shouldn't they be rethinking the whole damn business? There's
this analogy about how if you throw a frog into a boiling pot of
water, he'll jump right out but if you turn up the heat slowly, he'll
never know he's cooking. Well maybe I'm just used to the cold
phoenix air but the numb attitudes and the utter resignation and
hopelessness of everyone in this building scared me on a very deep
level today (joan didion 'thin whine of hysteria' style). At this
point I may be just overwhelmed by being the frog out of water that
happened to pick a particularly hot pot to jump back into but before
I hang up the headphones and take a job flipping burgers, I want to
know if it's this way everywhere or if my experience was just the
unilateral outlier.

I have to imagine that the internet boom and subsequent shakedown is
not the end of great development jobs, but I don't know. Are people
doing cool stuff with CFMX, struts, flash integration? Developing new
things, solving problems for a good cause in an interesting way that
is rewarding? Are there small shops that are making it and having fun
in the process? The messages I read from this list from the people
that I know indicate yes- so where do you all work and who has a
killer job that is hiring progressive, free-thinking individuals? If
there are no companies like this, does anyone want to start one? At
this point my strategy is to seek a teaching position of some sort,
since i have to believe that if I can't actually apply my talents in
a comercial scenario, there have got to be people that are at least
interested in LEARNING to do things the right way. Ride the storm
out, learn stuff and then re-enter the picture when business is
booming again i guess. Trading your livelihood for a paycheck just
is not worth it. Too bad there's no meeting tonight, would be cool
to talk w/ folks about their situations and find out what the
landscape is like in other companies right now. My roommates are
facing the same mind-numbing work right now and it drives them crazy
too.

Hit me back on or offlist if you have anything to say. And sorry to
vent here but I wanna get some response before I switch occupations
completely. Cursory internet searching and rummaging through
newspaper want ads yield nothing so far so I'm interested in the
lowdown from others on the list (and communication in confidence if
need be). The headhunter thing proved to be disasterous for this
situation, has that route worked for anyone else? Has anyone secured
freelance development work through a service like elance.com? What
other options am I missing for someone w/ strong
cf/database/communication skills?

thanks

Sean

CD: 3ms