From: Maarten Bosmans <mkbosmans <at> gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Is it possible to compress pulseaudio's network streams?
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.audio.pulseaudio.general
Date: Wednesday 11th May 2011 08:32:42 UTC (over 6 years ago)
There are currently no plans and no active development on compressed
network streams for PulseAudio. That said, it would be nice to have
some day. It seems that the consensus is that the CELT codec would be
best suited for this, because of it's tight control over latency.

When streaming audio (especially over wifi) latency and jitter are
much more of a concern than bandwidth. There is certainly some room
for improvement there, even without adding a crompressed stream
format.

Maarten