From: Andrea Pescetti <pescetti <at> apache.org>
Subject: Re: Apache OpenOffice in Fedora 19?
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.apache.openoffice.devel
Date: Thursday 7th February 2013 22:01:56 UTC (over 4 years ago)
Pavel Janík wrote:
> Is it LO who is infringing on our trademark or is it Fedora who is
> misusing our trademark for other project? Shouldn't we notify Fedora
> people politely about this situation and let them (and help them!)
> solve the issue first?

This part of the thread is derailing a bit (nothing against Pavel, just
picking one message). It started with Rob saying that IF "sudo yum
install openoffice.org" installed something else than OpenOffice THEN he
would have had trademark concerns. I answered that this is NOT the case
in Fedora (others reported that other distributions do otherwise, but
this is irrelevant to this thread, even though it's worth addressing in
a separate discussion).

I attended the Fedora Engineering Steering Committee chat yesterday. We
can get back to them easily if we don't agree on aliases with the
LibreOffice packagers. But for the time being the main issue is to be
able to package OpenOffice.

I already noted on the Fedora lists that, while the Committee doesn't
want to reassign the "oowriter" alias since it must point to a default
application (so to LibreOffice), the "openoffice.org" alias (which is
identical, capitalization aside, to the "OpenOffice.org" trademark) was
not discussed yesterday. But I hope we can get it sorted out together
with the LibreOffice packagers for Fedora, and if it doesn't happen I'll
raise the "openoffice.org" issue with the Committee.

Again, packaging is the real issue now. Let's make OpenOffice for Fedora
exist before we come to these issues. I'll continue the discussion in
the other branch of this thread.

Regards,
   Andrea.

CD: 4ms