From: Brian Rectanus <Brian.Rectanus <at> breach.com>
Subject: Re: rules-updater.pl
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.apache.mod-security.user
Date: Friday 23rd January 2009 16:57:24 UTC (over 8 years ago)
Ralf Spenneberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been following and using Modsecurity for several years now.
> Modsecurity has become a great product. Especially 2.5.x is the killer.
> I have several customers using the open source version. They are all
> very pleased and think about deploying the commercial version.
>
> When 2.5 was released I notices the appearance of rules-updater.pl.
>
> http://www.modsecurity.org/projects/modsecurity/apache/new_in_2.5.html
> "To help address this problem, the 2.5 code archive includes a
> supporting tool called rules-updater.pl that can be used to periodically
> check the ModSecurity Rules Repository to automatically download new
> rules."
>
> I have search the mailing list archive on this tool. Nobody appears to
> bother and I wonder that until today I have not found the repository
> mentioned on the webpage.
>
> On the other hand, the core rules have not changed often in the last
> couple of month. There might not be a need for public repository.
>
> What is the official state of this tool? Is it just for private use?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Ralf

Hi Ralf,

Currently there is no public repository.  It was meant to be a tool that
allows you to role your own repository as well as use any public
repository in the future.  That said, the tool seriously lacks
documentation ;)  If there is interest in using this tool (the repo is
just set of static files via HTTP(S)), then I'd be happy to write some
more docs, but otherwise, I'll wait until a point at which we can get up
a rule repository (no estimate on that yet).

thanks,
-B

--
Brian Rectanus