From: Simon Phipps <simon <at> webmink.com>
Subject: Clarifying facts
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.apache.incubator.ooo.devel
Date: Tuesday 13th March 2012 16:25:51 UTC (over 5 years ago)
Hi all,

Probably because of all the progress being made towards a v3.4 release, I
have been getting an increasing number of enquiries about the status of
Apache OpenOffice from a variety of sources.  I'm attempting, in good
faith, to maintain an objective status summary the Apache OpenOffice
incubator project to report to these enquiries.

I've had a commentator assert that the statements below are uninformed and
made-up. I believe based on my observations all of the following statements
to be true about the Apache project; can you let me know if they are not,
please, so I can present a factual status of the project when asked?
The Apache OpenOffice project will be releasing a new binary under the new
name "Apache OpenOffice" at some point soon, which will probably be
numbered v3.4.
The release is being developed by a subset of the original developers
augmented by others.
There have been no updates to OpenOffice.org binaries released for users
since Oracle stopped development.
There will be no new versions of a binary program called OpenOffice.org
released.
No downloads of OpenOffice.org containing bug fixes or security updates
have been made available for end users since Oracle stopped development.
The Apache OpenOffice project now controls the original OpenOffice.org
domain (via the ASF) and plans to use it for future promotion of the Apache
OpenOffice project.
The Apache OpenOffice project is still in incubation and has not yet
requested graduation to a TLP.
Thanks for your help with this.

S.

CD: 3ms