From: Trevor Stone <trevor.stone-PsZYaNdHqi61Z/+hSey0Gg <at> public.gmane.org>
Subject: Re: Exploring GATE
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.ai.gate.general
Date: Tuesday 9th September 2008 16:40:27 UTC (over 9 years ago)
On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 12:33 -0400, Jeffrey Berger wrote:
> I'd like to use GATE out of the box on a piece of text just to get an
> idea of what the application does. Is this possible? Or do I need to do
> some programming to get things minimally set up? I'm a ways away from up
> to speed on Text Engineering and trying to learn more.

Simple steps to play with GATE:

* Launch the GATE program.
* File > Load Annie System > With Defaults
* Right click on Language Resources > New GATE Corpus
* Right click on your new corpus and select Populate to fill it with all
recognized files in a directory (e.g. a folder of text files).
* (You can also add individual documents and then double click on the
corpus to add them.)
* Double click on the ANNIE application, make sure your corpus is
selected at the bottom, and hit Run.
* Double click on some documents in the Language Resources, hit the
Annotation Sets button, and click the check boxes to see what
annotations were added.  Hover over a colored box of text to find out
details about the annotation.

(Documentation maintainers: If there isn't a similar "super quick start"
set of instructions somewhere, feel free to use these.)

--
Trevor Stone ~
Software Engineer ~ Tyler Technologies ~ EagleSoftware